[SLUG] Newbie needs help with backup

From: Charles Marcak (clmarcak@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 17:18:40 EST

Hello,
I am running RH9 Pro 2.4.20-28.9SMP. I want to backup my home directory,
and if I can figure out how, backup the whole system. My home directory
will fit on one 700Mb CD, but the system would require multiple CD's. I
wrote a script.
#!/bin/bash

rm /home/shadow/shadowbackup.iso

cdrecord --dev=0,0,0 --force --blank=all

mkisofs -o shadowbackup.iso -x /*.tar -x /*.tar.gz -x /*.rpm -R -A -V -v
/home/shadow

cdrecord -v -eject dev=0,0,0 /home/shadow/shadowbackup.iso

I want to run it from cron using a rewritable CD.

Questions:

Does cron run if the computer is left at the log on screen with no one
logged on?

Is there a way to write a large *.iso file to multiple CD's?

Does anyone see anything wrong with my script?

Is /home/shadow the proper place for shadowbackup.iso?

Is /home/shadow the proper place for the script backup.sh?

Charles Marcak