[SLUG] USB Modem - Epilogue

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 21:35:21 EST

The serial-to-USB adapter that makes the Actiontec 56K external serial modem
an external USB modem does NOT conform to USB Communication Device Class
Abstract Control Model. That's the reason why it cannot communicate through
the /dev/usb/ttyACM0 through ttyACM4 ports. Somebody figured out how to make
an external hardware modem that doesn't work with UNIX/Linux. I don't know
how many other external USB modems fall into this category. Something to look
for the next time I shop for external modems. Got to have CDC ACM.

Since the cheapie Acer PC's motherboard has the video adapter, sound card,
hard disk controller, and USB hub built in, I poked around with a flashlight
and found a header tucked away behind the single PCI slot, and that was a
working serial port. I plugged in a ribbon cable, and the Actiontec is
working fine as a serial modem on ttyS0. The story has a happy ending after
all.