Re: [SLUG] re: need distro with text-based install program

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 02:56:59 EST

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Eben King wrote:

> Yes, thanks; those are all setups where you boot from the OS CD. Since
> the root of a thin client (like mine) is mounted over NFS, that wouldn't
> work, unless the installer supports root-on-NFS. A way around this is to
> have an installer that one could run from the command line. Are there any
> that do either of these?

Well, the simple way is to expand your desired distribution directly into
the NFS-mounted directory that serves as your root filesystem on the
client (i.e., from the server side, where it's just a regular part of the
filesystem). You'll have to fix up a few things afterwards, like the
timezone, root password, hostname, etc. but it should work well enough.

Slackware used to come in the form of simple tarballs, so that would
work... I'm not sure about the more intelligent package formats like RPM,
perhaps there is an option to give the package a different "root" to
install into.

That's the way most diskless clients are set up in the real world.