Re: [SLUG] Linux distros; was: non-us.debian.org and security.debian.org

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 20:33:08 EST

> The main reason for my using Debian is that no other mainstream distro I
> know of is so easy to upgrade. Red Hat, SuSE and others have always
> built their distros like you're supposed to reinstall when the next
> version comes out, or pay them money for it. Debian's a refreshing
> change from that-- you can just tell it to update/upgrade and you're
> done. The problem is that when you go to do that, if something like KDE
> has been removed from the distro for some reason, guess what? It takes
> it off your machine. Yikes!

In one paragraph you caught:

a) The reason Warren Woodson based Mepis on Debian
b) The reason he's setting up a private (optional) apt server

I, too, was always impressed with the Debian package system, but
unimpressed with the install and admin tools, and totally DEpressed by
Debian politics.

Xandros has done a decent job of making the base Debian distribution
usable by mortals -- and of adding un-Debian (even *GASP* commercial)
components so that a user's computing and Internet experiences are as
complete as anyone else's.

Mepis doesn't have a hookup with CrossOver, and it doesn't have quite as
much visual glamor as Xandros, but I find it more functional and
reliable -- and at its current rate of development it's likely to pass
Xandros by the end of the year, at least in desktop usability and "fit
and finish."

So I'm using Mepis, even writing a book centered on it to be published
this fall by either IDG or Addison Wesley, depending on which one wins
the bidding war...

- Robin