Re: [SLUG] Safe ? or not !

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 11:40:39 EST

Eben King wrote:
>>Recently upgraded some files. RPM gives me the following message after
>>having completed the upgrade.
>>
>>cannot remove /usr/share/themes - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk/themes - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/engines - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0 - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk-2.0 - directory not empty
>>cannot remove /usr/lib/gtk - directory not empty
>>
>>Question is can I go in and delete them manually? Afraid to do that
>>because I am not sure whether they are needed or not and I will break
>>something. There is an awful lot of stuff in there using a lot of
>>space if it is not needed.
>

> To test, you can move the contents of /usr/share/themes and
> /usr/libgtk/themes and /usr/lib/gtk-2.0 and /usr/lib/gtk temporarily (say,
> tar | bz2 and rm, or move to /some/location) temporarily and see if you
> notice some ill effect. I suspect you will, although there's probably
> some stuff in there left behind when you upraded a program.
>
> RPM is probably just trying to be tidy by removing directories, which will
> only succeed if they're empty.

It's merely a warning, not an error.

The upgrade script for whatever RPM you are installing is merely
checking to see if those directories are empty so that it might clean up
after itself. There are almost definitely OTHER packages installed that
do have files in those directories - you do NOT want to remove them if
you want those other packages to function properly.

Usually, the package dependencies will work this kind of thing out. The
package the creates the basis of a directory for other packages to use
would ideally be the last package to remove, thus removing the directory
along the way. Unfortunately, not all package dependencies are correct:
you likely have some packages that do not have the package in question
listed as a dependency, which will probably mean those packages will not
function correctly even if you do leave the files behind.

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: