Re: [SLUG] ssh style vpn?

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 14:52:59 EST

Austin Theen wrote:
> any ssh fiends know if it's possible to use SSH to connect to computers
> behind a firewall? Here's the scenario:
>
> Internet <-> Linksys FW <-> Linux SSHD
> <-> VNC Server
>
> the linksys router has port 22 open to the linux box, and I'm trying to
> see how ssh can be used to allow me to access the VNC clients through
> the firewall without opening port 5900.
>
> from the man page it says I can forward ports and something about -g
> allowing remote hosts to connect to local forwarded ports.
>
> is this possible? or do i have to do a vpn?

This is simple SSH port redirection. You can either forward local
connections to a remote machine (-L), or remote connections to a local
machine (-R), ie:

        localhost$ ssh -L 5900:vncserver:5900 linksys

This tells your ssh client on your machine on the Internet somewhere to
listen locally to port 5900, and when something connects - tell the
remote sshd to connect to "vncserver" on port 5900.

If you have an Xvnc session running on your Linux box, you can use
"localhost" instead of the "vncserver".

SSH port redirection is an incredibly useful thing to master.

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: