Re: [SLUG] Chance to Promote LINUX.

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 15:37:43 EST

> Can I get some recommendations here as to what machines, most of
> what they do are just word processing, some spread sheets and a
> bit of image work.
>
> They are looking at replacing 4 machines. I also want to put a
> file server on the network and be done with it.
>
> So looking for input on machines and other software, also distros,
> I use RH here at home. I thought I would do the same there and since
> they are most familiar with windows I would use KDE as the desk top
> to make the transisition easier.

You can build some decent AthlonXP workstations in the $300 range, load
KDE, OOo, maybe Abiword and Gnumeric, the Gimp, or whatever. If you are
going to use KDE, I'd suggest not skimping on the RAM. ICEWM is a lighter
alternative, and it's pretty windowslike. As far as distro, you're
probably best off with whatever you're familiar with. Requirements aren't
very heavy on the file server - all it needs are a big disk, a network
card, and enough speed to put the data onto the line at a reasonable rate.

If this is too vague, poke me with a sharp stick and I'll get more specific.

Levi