Re: [SLUG] was it MOSIX?

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 12:39:49 EST

Mario Lombardo wrote:

> I thought there was a small application that can sit atop both Windows and
> Linux boxes to do some sort of clustering. When it's on, you're part of the
> cluster. When it's off, you're free.
>
> Anybody remember it?

Mosix and OpenMosix are both Linux kernel based auto-loadsharing
clusters. I'm also fond of the OpenSSI project.

With colinux.org, you may now run such an image under Windows (with the
coLinux kernel patch). It allows you to run a virtual Linux image in
parallel to your running Windows environment. Seriously, check it out.

        http://www.colinux.org

As for computational clustering, there are many GRID style systems
floating around now where an agent is loaded to run jobs as the native
OS can schedule them. Think of this model as you would SETI@Home or
Distributed.Net. In these models, there is a skeleton of management and
a set of APIs for you to develop to.

At a very basic level, any machine with remote access (via ssh, rsh, or
whatever) can run offloaded computational jobs - though the binaries
invoked must be compiled for that particular architecture and platform.

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: