Re: [SLUG] trying to install MEPIS

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 22:51:23 EST

On Friday 13 February 2004 05:36 pm, Red Wolfman wrote:
> I partitioned the second half of my HD with 4 Gig ext2, 2 Gig SWAP,
> remainder ext2
>
> click on the MEPIS Installation center- meinstall----password
> (root). Install MEPHIS on Hard Drive--next
>
> USE disk pull down choice sda or hdb ??????
> At this point I'm lost help please

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!!

You don't give enough information to do what you're doing without risk.

You need to discover what partitions you have and any free space.
If you have used up all your disk space then you need to defrag Windows
(at least twice, or it will leave clusters scattered across the disk)
and pack it up in the beginning of the disk.

Detecting which partitions are in use is key especially if you're going
to erase any. Both windows and Linux can tell you what you have before
you get going with the new install. Take notes. Backup any important
data to some other disk or computer.

Hard drives are labelled according to what type of interface they use.
IDE's are hda, hdb, hdc etc. SCSI are sda, sdb, sdc etc.

Your newer BIOS will let you choose what to boot on. If you decide to
use a SCSI then make sure it's on SCSI ID 0. In your case it does seem
that your ZIP drive might be sda.

The fact that you have a hdb and not a hda indicates your hard drive is
jumpered to be a slave instead of master.

List your drive letters and what they point to under windows. Reboot
into the BIOS and list what drives it says you have.

Windows really badly wants to be the first OS on the first partition on
the first drive. You can fool it with Grub but it's usually easier to
just leave it there. Once windows is installed it's safe to install
something like Linux or whatever. Reinstalling windows will wipe out
the boot sector, just to be sure it's the "boss". You can easily handle
that by simply load grub and have it write in a new boot sector.
F.ex.:
'grub'
'root (hd0,1)' first drive, 2nd partition (pointing to /boot)
'setup (hd0)'
'quit'

This will rewrite your boot sector with grub. Keep a boot floppy or CD
to run this if needed.

--
Steve

__________________________________________________ You actually need to constantly be alert and willing to handle things, or life will find a way to get you good! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.