[SLUG] Router spam

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 07:47:41 EST

Hi All

For a week or so now I have been starting up my laptop in the office and
receiving a immediate pop-up spam add.

Havinf all filters turned on including security, popups and cookies I was
going nuts trying to figure out how I had became infected with a url transfer
spam program in my Linux box.

Thanks to a posting on another list I was able to ascertain that what is
happening is that a router company has initiated an add campain of popups
through their routers.
The URL that always appears is:
http://filter.belkin.com/setup.asp?SN=BEL13KK0&RP=21456&IP=192.168.0.2&FV=2.00.04

which is a Belkin Router add.

The following story explains the situation:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/07/1740205&tid=153

My solution to this issue is to post notices on all know BB that if you buy
Belkin products expects spam from Belkin.

Thanks
Frank