RE: [SLUG] Error enabling swap device

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 08:30:51 EST

> I dropped to the shell, on console 4 is where I see
> the interesting stuff. I am trying to figure out how
> I can capture that to a file say on a floppy or a CF
> card so I can send it to you. I see what look like
> line after line of;
> cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
> cdrom_decode_status: error=0x34Aborted Command LastFailSense 0x03
> these two lines alternate 4 times.
> I see one line;
> ATAPI reset complete
> then more lines of the previous messages again 4 times
> then;
> Unable to find swap-space signature
> At that point on the GUI I get the swap partition message
> and on console 4 it says it is rebooting.

This indicates either a bad CD or CDROM drive. Before running the installation
did you try verifying the CD? Unfortunately a bad CDROM can lead to weird
errors that are sometimes unrelated to what's actually at fault.

My next suggestion would be to boot into rescue mode to run mkswap. The
swap-space signature error means that mkswap was not run.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com