Re: [SLUG] Changing media

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 17:21:56 EST

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Joe Brandt wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 21:06, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> > I have a floppy disk based system that I would like to put on
> > either a small hard drive or CF card.
> >
> > It is a combination firewall and router. Is there a way to moving
> > this bootable floppy image to either a HD or CF card so I can
> > have the larger space and yet conserve all of the stuff on the
> > floppy in the same layout.
> >
> > My second reason is to get something that will boot faster than
> > the floppy.
> >
> > If anyone is interested I can send you the image that I have.
> >
> > It uses busybox for the commands and I think the kernel is 2.0
> > or 2.2.
>
> My swag (silly wild a--ed guess) would be dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/boot

That would make a 1.44MB filesystem on the CF card/HD. Also, floppies
don't (usually?) have partitions; CF cards/HDs usually do. My best guess
is

{ cd /mnt/floppy && tar cf - . ; } | { cd /mnt/hda1 && tar xvpsf - ; }
lilo -r /mnt/hda1 -b /dev/hda

Adjust as needed. You'll probably need an IDE CF reader, unless your
motherboard can boot from USB. Also, arrange to put the router's / on a
RAMdisk and mount the CF ro. http://ide-cf.info-for.us/mtbf.html

           This message was created using recycled electrons.