Re: [SLUG] *really* killing a process

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 02:11:19 EST

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> I'm trying to kill the following processes, first with no flag and then with
> - -9
> They won't die. Why?

"Unkillable" processes are usually blocked on some kind of resource or I/O
operation within the kernel. Most often you can see this with programs
that are trying to access dead NFS mounts (server crash, network outage,
etc.) but there are several possible causes.

If you want to get rid of them you'll probably have to reboot, unless the
condition they're waiting on can somehow be satisfied (in the NFS mount
situation, the server must come back to life).