Re: [SLUG] upgrading my harddisk and filesystem

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 22:37:56 EST

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Russell Hires wrote:

> Here's my problem: Debian sarge, kernel 2.4.25 currently rests on a 4 GB hard
> drive, is split into 5 linux partitions, / /usr /home /tmp /var. I'm doing
> two things at once. I'm going to move each of these partitions to a larger
> disk (80 GB), and the filesystem is going to be xfs. The partitions are going
> to be the same as the smaller disk. At some point, the larger disk is going
> to do everything, and the smaller disk will be reassigned some new duty.
>
> How do I move everything over from each partition on the smaller disk to each
> partition on the larger disk?

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/

But what I would do, is:

- arrange to have the old disk as hda and the new disk as hdc
- partition hdc the way you want it
- format each new partition as xfs
- if you're going to several partitions, then:
    for each partition; do
      mount it rw on /mnt/temp
      { cd $mount_point && tar clf - . ; } | { cd /mnt/temp && tar xvpsf - ; }
      unmount it
    done
  else
    mount the new drive rw on /mnt/temp
    { cd / && tar clf - all_the_mount_points ; } | (same as above)
    unmount it
  fi
- install your bootloader (lilo, grub, whatever) on the new drive

> I've also had concerns with
> mtab, since it doesn't seem to reflect fstab when I boot with the new /.

mtab is dynamically created. It and /proc/mounts should be very similar.

> Also, every bit of advice that I've seen on the net talks about not
> copying /proc over to the new device, since...something bad will happen, but
> I don't know what.

Well, /proc/kcore is very big...

"cat /proc/kcore | wc -c" for kicks.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes.