[SLUG] local mail filtering

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 16:08:58 EST

Hello!

I attend the Dunedin meeting and was referred to the slug list for help so
here goes.
I'm running SuSE 9 as a firewalled gateway box. We don't have a large mail
load or a large budget so I would like to double the gateway as a "in house"
mail filter. Our mail is hosted externally and filtering is now needed due
to a large increase in spam and viruses in the inbound mail. Our current
web host does not handle filtering. I would like to pull down the mail with
fetchmail, filter it through spamassassin and maybe amavis or other virus
scanner, and then spool it for the LAN machines to pull down into Outlook
for Windows. Ideally, the questionable stuff would be dropped into a holding
folder to determine if it's legitimate or not. The Problem I am having is
that I can already pull down the mail, but I don't know how to set up the
config files for procmail ( if that's the proper software? ) or how to
forward the processed mail to the local pop3/imap server for outlook to
retrieve.

I know all this takes up space so I've Raided 600 GB of disk for the task.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike Branda
mike@wackyworld.tv