Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} High Precision Floating Point Numbers

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 10:01:57 EST

> Just curious, though, why not use floats?

Only because as soon as you have to break into decimals your 23 bit mantissa gets chewed up in a hurry. A double, though still lossy, uses 52 bits for the mantissa, which makes a huge difference (it's usable!). I've never done the math my self, but several sources say you get 6 significant digits for a float, and 15 significant digits for a double (though other sources go higher: 7 and 17). Those that say 10 for a float are lying :).

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!