Re: [SLUG] Cursor moves on its own

From: Matt Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 15:24:04 EST

> My experiences with stick tension input devices has been that the driver
> is rarely the problem. Typically the confusion is how the device works.
>
> The electronics detect forces on the stick and constantly recalibrate
> "zero". If you hold the stick with a constant force for a given period
> of time (typically from 3 to 10 seconds), the device will eventually
> decide that no forces are "really" acting on it, and re-zero the input
> based on the force you are applying.
>
> If you leave the stick alone for 10 seconds and it does NOT recalibrate
> zero on its own, you may have a damaged or defective device.
>
> This has been my experience, anyway.

I second this notion. If it drives you especially crazy, then I suggest
you get a USB mouse as well. I love the trackpoint thingy on my
thinkpad, but use a USB mouse for things like surfing the web. The
trackpoint is handy for moving the cursor from one window to another,
/especially/ if you're using some sort of *term and your window manager
is set to have focus follow the mouse. It really cuts down on
hand-to-mouse travel for quick mousing needs. However, it's not
terribly useful for slowly moving the dragbar, as you've noticed it
keeps on moving if you were slowly dragging for too long. :-) Use a
mouse wheel instead.

On a related note, has anyone found a cheap source of replacement red
trackpoint nubbies? Anyone with a trackpoint knows that the little red
cover eventually gives up the ghost and requires replacement. Last time I
priced them IBM wanted your firstborn, a mint 1967 Firebird, and some
sort of cattle sacrifice for a set of 5 replacement nubbies. :-)

--
Matthew Moen

Microsoft Exchange: Incontrovertible proof that sometimes you /should/ shoot the messenger.

The following disclaimer is provided courtesy of, and willy-nilly by, NKS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.