{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] A question of databases

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 15:37:21 EDT

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 10:35:40PM -0500, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:

> This is really new territory for me (I am a radio guy) I am going to
> do some AVL work, I need to capture data into a database, that data
> will be read into mapping machines in order to track the vehicles.
>
> I see that I have available two database products on my RedHat machines,
> MySQL and PostGRES.

MySQL and PostgreSQL have been moving closer in capabilities and speed
over the years. I believe the primary difference at this point is that
if you intend do certain commercial things with MySQL, you have to pay
for a license. I'm not clear on what types of things, and I could be
wrong entirely. I ran across this some time ago, and for that reason, I
use PostgreSQL. It has no encumberances whatsoever.

Paul