RE: [SLUG] Charges for service

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 20:29:04 EDT

Churches are non-profit charitable organizations that operate as a business
by necessity (someone has to manage the property, finances, payroll, etc.)

One also has to keep in mind that most churches are usually mortaged to
their eyeballs because church property is (at least it was in California)
extremely expensive (because the city/county/state makes very little from it
in terms of tax revenue, and when the property must be sold it's only useful
for another church unless someone wants to go through the expense of tearing
stuff down and rebuilding).

With proper written recognition you should be able to write off any discount
as a non-cash charitable deduction, but I'd consult with a tax attorney
before you take my advice. I produce DVD materials for a biker ministry and
just write off the cost of supplies as a charitable deduction (keep the
receipts!).

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
AOL Instant Messenger: stevenbuehlerfl
MSN Messenger: stevenwbuehler@msn.com
Yahoo!: swbuehler | ICQ: 3565750
IRC: "Triste" in EFnet (#Christian-Discussion)
AT&T Wireless SMS: 18636027676@mobile.att.net
Sanctuaryweb.org Web Sites:
F.A.I.T.H. Riders of Lakeland: http://faithriders.sanctuaryweb.org
United Marriage EncounterR of West Central Florida:
http://ume.sanctuaryweb.org