RE: [SLUG] A question of databases

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 09:27:04 EDT

Ronan Heffernan wrote:
> I have used Postgres extensively in professional projects since 1994,
> and I have used MySQL for some websites (especially to run PostNuke),
> so you can see where my bias might lie. MySQL is supposed to have a
> speed advantage (in case you are doing a lot of processing on a slow
> machine). Postgres has a definite feature advantage (ACID compliant
> transactions, nested subqueries, etc.) I have been very frustrated
> trying to work around some of the missing features in MySQL
> (especially nested sub-queries like: select * from tablea where (id
> not in (select ta_id from table b where active)); ) and would highly
> recommend Postgres for its reliability.

Ahh, this sounds like the sort of thing I may have to deal with. We will
have multiple mapping consoles looking at the data in the database, each
console will have a geographical part of the view and will look at
vehicles in that geo-area, but there will also be operators that will
look at vehicles based on ID, service type (i.e. distrubution, transport,
public safety etc) so these will be pulling data based on a unique id
or other unique data.

Then of course they will all be looking for vehicles which are sending
some type of alarm code which will cause that vehicle icon to change
color or flash or some other action that will make the icon stand out
on the mapper screen.

Under normal operation, the mappers will not see vehicles that are not
either selected or in trouble.

Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com