{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Install fest at next Sarasota Meeting?

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 07:49:46 EDT

>I just read a review that indicates Mepis is your distro of choice for getting
>the Winmodem going without command line work.

And even Mepis won't get *all* Winmodems to work automatically; it
merely sets up a larger percentage of them than other distros. Mepis has
other good points, and the next version will be better than the last;
I'm using a beta of it as my "daily driver" right now, and a a
bootable/installable Mepis CD will be included in "Point and Click
Linux," the Addison-Wesley book I'm writing that is sscheduled for
release this fall. But it is not 100% with Winmodems, just 80%.

That review - http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/03/30/1932230 -
was written by Brice Burgess, a student at New College in... Sarasota.
He works for me part-time and writes a bit for NewsForge and Linux.com.
Very smart young man.

My personal advice re Winmodems is that if you can't get yours running
without fuss, you're probably better off buying a hardware modem than
dicking around with it. You can buy an external modem for a desktop or a
PCMCIA modem for a laptop for under $60 that will work with Linux out of
the box, no problem.

- Robin