RE: [SLUG] Samba help for Linux Newbee

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 19:43:07 EDT

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 19:28, Patrick Grantham wrote:
> How do you register a windows box on the domain? What do you do on the
> Samba server and on a win9x box or NT based box to use the same encryption
> methods (in short get encryption to work)?

With NT, make sure that you have the latest SP (I think it was 3, but
don't hold me to it). With 2K it should work without any other
configurations. Don't know about Win9x since I don't have one available
to test. I know that it works out-of-the-box on RH9, Mandrake 9.2 and
Fedora Core 1 (all are running Samba servers to let the Windows machines
-- Win2K pro, NT4 in a VMWare session -- see their filesystems). Oh, I
have a WinME vmware image but for reasons of principle I refuse to boot
it.

This article has some more information:

It mentions user level security specifically so this may be a
requirement (i.e., not domain auth).