Re: [SLUG] A question of databases

From: Maureen (res1ydl9@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 08:31:22 EDT

wchast@utilpart.com wrote:

>Maureen wrote:
>

>>Basically what they are looking at is a program that will take the
>>lats and longs and at the very least give us coordinates that would
>>overlay a map of the county we work in and give us a street,
>>intersection, or nearby address. That way when a cell phone caller
>>cannot tells us where they are we can still find them and render the
>>help they need. I have been trying to get them over to Linux for
>>three years but its an uphill battle. When I was taking to my boss
>>about the program he was looking at he stated that it would be on a
>>separate computer from our CAD so if I can find one that would do the
>>job in LINUX it would at least give them a very good taste in
>>stability, reliablity in an OS that all Emergeny Services should be
>>using. (at least that's my humble opinion) If this is something you
>>can do I will gladly give you my bosses name and number. It would be
>>a government contract (county) and may help both of us. Maureen
>>

>Can you send us a sample of the data that you receive from the provider
>with the LAT/Lon data in it? I assume it is some sort of sentence that
>has some sort of ID like the EIN, phone # or other ID, Lat/Lon and
>possibly some RF environmental data, would like to see a sample.
>

>Chuck Hast
>To paraphrase my flight instructor;
>"the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
>out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
>and twisted metal."

>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
>intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
>addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
>the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
>remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
>and other information in this message that do not relate to the official
>business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
>endorsed by it.
>
>Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com

>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Our calls all come in through Verizon. They all are pretty much the same.

The EIN number is up top with the ESN number
the callers number is on the main screen with the address.
Below that are the reccomendations as to what area it is, for the city's
of just county for fire, rescue, and so/police.

With cell phones there is a number at the top, just below the ESN, that
is called CPN (cell phone number). most show up there. Some, like at&t
show up on the main screen.

Anyway just above the recommedations is the are for LAT, LONG, and two
other bits that I don't remember off hand. I am off the next two days
but will get a snap of the screen and send it to you. I might be able
to find out which format they are actually using.

And of course it would have to be able to go into our existing database
of calls. All lines are taped, so any verbal conversation is already on
file. I have no idea what verizon does with there screen captures but
our CAD is separate and we dump the calls into our system, where it is
automatically entered into our database but the issued control number.
I will see what I can find out and send it off to you. Moe