Re: [SLUG] fstab

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 10:11:24 EDT

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Maurice Wilson wrote:
> Logan Tygart wrote:
> >On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 15:57, Maurice Wilson wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks Logan & Kwan
> >>Between the two of you I was able to get my backup drive set up. I can
> >>now get to it as root and see the files.
> >>I now want to modify fstab so that it will come up as I boot up to user.
> >>Auto Mount on boot
> >>The parameters are below. Just need to know
> >>how to write the line in fstab... Thanks again: Maurice
> >
> >/dev/hdc1 /backup vfat defaults 1 2
> >
> Thanks Logan
> After all of that I've come to the conclusion that the AMD-64 system is
> not happy looking at Vfat drives.

Probably vfat just needs to be enabled in the kernel config. See if you
have /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/vfat/vfat.o . If not, you need to
turn on

<M> DOS FAT fs support
<M> VFAT (Windows-95) fs support

and run "make clean dep modules" as the person who first did any
compilation of the source, and then "make modules_install" as root.

Or it could be some weird variation of (V)FAT which vfat.o doesn't handle.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_