{SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Reminder

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 07:42:19 EDT

Pete,

You're making this sound much harder than it is.

> That is good news, thanks for sharing. Now if I get that one (beta2)
> then the printer might work. Regarding the Winmodem (3Com MINI PCI
> 3B), I think we did use the 2.6x option, but I don't know how to tell.
> I can do without the DVD if I have to (sigh, no watching
> Heartbreakers) . . .

You can tell if you're using the 2.6 option - there's a list when the
computer boots up. The default kernel is 2.4.x. If you do nothing,
that's what you get. You choose from a list, click click.

> The "get and install libdvdcss with apt or Warren's customized version
> of Kpackage to play commercial DVDs" part might be beyond me. I would
> love to just put the CD in the drive, click a couple of choices and
> have it "just work". Maybe next year . . .

Ummm.... 5 clicks is not beyond your reach. No command line needed. I
won't be writing the "Installing and Removing Software" chapter of my
"Point and Click Linux" book for another 2 - 3 weeks, but I assure you
this is super-simple if someone shows you how to do it.

I'm feeling bad now that I had a phone interview to do Wed night and
didn't make it to the meeting....

- Robin