RE: [SLUG] Computer show

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 20:46:15 EDT

Kwan, thanks. Good feedback.

-----Original Message-----
From: slug@nks.net [mailto:slug@nks.net]On Behalf Of Kwan Lowe
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 8:14 PM
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Computer show

> Any body have an opinion on one of these?
> http://www.marketproshows.com/Visitor/Directions.asp?idVenue=24
> They are having the show this May 1-2nd. I have yet togo to one of them.
> Pete

I go there every time it comes around down this way (Ft. Lauderdale). A few
things that might make your shopping experience more pleasurable:

1) Price everything on NewEgg first. The prices at the show are usually
about
10% to 20% higher than Newegg, but keep in mind that newegg has recently
started adding shipping costs to more items. Some items that are usually
better at the show are:

a) cases (no shipping, usually much cheaper at the show also)
b) miscellaneous parts such as case fans, drive coolers since most places
charge a few bucks to ship these.
c) network cabling -- very cheap vs CompUSA or online (unless you buy in
bulk)
d) mice. I buy dozens there...

I've picked up several motherboards there with no problem. I won't buy hard
drives there because two drives have failed. If you do, remember that
Hitachi
drives cannot be returned to the manufacturer so you have to speak with the
vendor..

2) Try to buy from local vendors

3) Have a notepad to joy down prices. The vendors usually agree on prices
beforehand but prices can vary by as much as 15% between booths. *NEVER* buy
on the first go-round :D.

4) Print out the coupon before going to save $1.

5) Parking can be high (it's $5 here) so ideally have someone drop you off.

6) Most vendors will bargain with you. Some will also give cash discounts
(or
rather, have a credit card surcharge). My rule of thumb is that if it's over
$40 I pay by credit card for the consumer protection and cash otherwise
(unless the vendor is twirling a greasy mustache and has all items in his
coat
liner).

7) The food is greasy. Not sure if this is good or bad...

Hmmm, what else? I usually see it as an outing so I don't kick myself over
the
admission price. You can usually get a better price if you buy a barebones
kit
than if you piece it together. There are also good deals on used machines
(about $99 for a PIII 400) which are great for low-end servers.

You'll also see a lot of used monitors. Be very careful with these. Have
them
show you the screen with a non-animated display in a higher resolution than
640x480. Check for scratches and frayed cables, etc.. Also keep in mind that
these older monitors pull a lot more juice so even though they're cheap ($45
for a 17") the power costs can add up.

You can also get some very good prices on used equipment such as video
cards.
I picked up some old Milleniums for $5 each. But of course, caveat emptor.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com