Re: [SLUG] What did I do wrong??

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 18:33:47 EDT

Joe Brandt wrote:

> I am running Mandrake 9.2 boxed on a generic 1.4GHz Athelon.
>
> I downloaded the latest kernel source (2.5.4) and compiled a custom
> kernel. I have marginal success as I am using it now, but I have 2 issues.

The latest kernel source is 2.6.5.

> 1 I get absolutely no startup screen at all during boot-up, just a blank
> black screen. I booted it up a couple of times and noticed hard drive
> lights doing something, so I typed in my login name followed by my
> password. Then I typed "startx" and KDE started up like nothing is
> wrong. Same black screen when I log out.

It sounds like you have framebuffer console enabled but driving your
monitor at a rate that it cannot display.

> 2 When selecting sound drivers to compile I unselected all but the
> emu10k1 which I know I need, but I get no sound. In trying to set it up
> I get errors
>
> "Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

Did you compile it as a module? Did you make and install the modules?

        /usr/src/linux# make modules modules_install

Did you load the module?

        # depmod -a
        # modprobe emu10k1

> Also my harddrake lists my driver as ?snd-emu10k1 and will not take the
> changes to emu10k1.

snd-emu10k1 is ALSA. Are you trying to use the OSS driver ("emu10k1") or
ALSA ("snd-emu10k1", and other supporting ALSA snd-* drivers).

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: