Re: [SLUG] mplayer and symbols in file name

From: eben1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 01:06:21 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 0:10 am
Subject: Re: [SLUG] mplayer and symbols in file name

> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:56:24PM -0400, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I take it, then, that anything inside quotes is typically
> > interpreted by the shell, and the quotes only serve to group
> > elements of a statement together.
>
> In general, yes.

The input is broken up into words, separated by any character in $IFS (by default
space, tab, linefeed, not necessarily in that order). You can write to $IFS, to
make it convenient for you.

> That's true for double-quotes, but not for single-quotes. That is:
>
> something "$ANYTHING"
>
> would fetch the value for the variable ANYTHING and insert that
> into the quoted string. But
>
> something '$ANYTHING'
>
> would assume that $ANYTHING is a string literal. Backticks (`)
> behave similarly to double-quotes, but execute what lies
> inside the backtick-quoted string.
> An alternate way to execute something (besides backticks) is:
>
> NOW=$($DATE +%Y-%m-%d)

I believe that comes from ksh or bash; the only difference between $(...) and `...`
now is that $(...) is easier to nest.

(I hate web mail... if this looks odd, it's because I'm using web mail through IE on
XP.)