Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Sarasota DSL Providers

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 22:30:41 EDT

>> I use Verizon with no problems, They even let me host services as long
>> as my bandwidth is not what they deem excessive. They will not define
>> excessive though.
>>

> That's a common problem with DSL providers that are also telephone
> companies: they tend to conceal standards of "reasonability" so that
> they can change them at any time without having to inform anyone.
> Likewise, Verizon has a bad reputation for bilking their customers,
> particularly as applies to package deals. If they offer you a deal
> involving DSL and unlimited long distance for one low-low rate, expect
> it to be a lot of smoke and mirrors. I know of at least four people (my
> father being one of them) that bought that line, read all the fine
> print, found that they really did seem to be offering the deal that they
> appeared to be offering . . . and ended up getting charged something
> like two hundred dollars in domestic long distance.
>
> I'm not saying nobody should use Verizon, but you should definitely be
> suspicious of anything that sounds too good to be true.

That's not limited to DSL/phone providers. I have had the same issue
(regarding changing standards) with cable companies, particularly
AOLTWBHNW. Oh, and my wife called Knology for some rate quotes, and
couldn't get a straight answer out of them. One person would say one
thing, then xfer to someone else, who would say something else, and so
on...