Re: [SLUG] cxoffice

From: Bill Canaday (bill13510@wwnet.net)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 19:03:08 EDT

On Saturday 15 May 2004 05:55 pm, you wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:37:36PM -0400, Bill Canaday wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 08:13 pm, you wrote:
> > I also understand that I can install MS office in my wine
> >
> > > installation and bingo.. I don't need to pay to anyone? I wish life
> > > was that good.
> >
> > So do I.
> >

> The matter of fact is that I have wine in my computer. I have
> installed it like 6 months ago and I have MS Wordviewer and
> Excelviewer working quite well. I have some other stuff as well but
> I hardly use them now. Soffice does most of the job for me.
>

> Tevfik

Since MS-Office was the focus of the original question, let us know when you
get MS-Office running in WINE as well as it runs in Codeweavers CrossOver
Office (COO). From personal experience, I am of the opinion that MS-Office
runs just as well in COO as it does in Windows. Or, depending on your
perspective, just as bad.

AbiWord and Gnumeric are all the office applications I need so I'm not
interested in either MS-Office or even the open source replacements for it.
In fact, I'd be a very happy camper if someone would resurrect WordStar 2000,
throw some newer printer drivers and file filters in it and release it to run
on either Linux or DOS/WINE. Then maybe Borland would port its spreadsheet
over to whatever WordStar was running under and I'd be simply ecstatic.

The code for Wordstar must be simply horrible or it would have already been
ported to Linux ... what has Wordstar got to lose?

I hold to my original assertion that WINE is not up to the same standards as
COO. This does not mean that WINE does not work at all or even that COO can
run more total programs than WINE can. That is not my assertion at all. What
it means is that COO can run certain programs enough better than WINE to
justify the price they charge.

When Wine can run two more programs I rely upon (it is nearly there already),
my final Windows machine will cease to exist.

Bill
- --
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
Uptimes below for the machines that created / host these sites.
 18:36:00 up 10 days, 4:25, 5 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.15
 18:29:00 up 10 days, 2:30, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00