Re: [SLUG] limited web access

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 11:13:58 EDT

mark@bish.net wrote:

>On Mon, 17 May 2004, Backward Thinker wrote:
>

>>http://www.squid-cache.org is the reigning champion for proxy
>>software these days... it should be able to handle what you
>>need in terms of ACLs. Have the assistant's browser point to
>>the proxy server explicitly, or better yet, transparently
>>http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html.
>>
>>If you can't go the transparent route, configure the
>>router/firewall to block outbound traffic from the assistant
>>(but allow from the proxy server), so it can't be bypassed.
>>
>>~ Daniel
>>

>This will work perfectly and as you want if you follow BTs advice.

Eek. It sounds complex -- especially considering the chaotic and often
obtuse nature of most Linux documentation. I do kinda enjoy beating my
head against challenging new concepts from time to time, but I hope this
is a smoother process than normal since I have to do this for a client . . .

Are there any simple step-by-step tutorials (that don't assume Linux
expert status in all things not specifically a part of the tutorial
topic) that will help with IP tables and Squid proxy setup to which
youse guys can direct me? Is there a way to set up the access-control
lists using URLs that doesn't involve a caching proxy?

--
Chad Perrin
@political [apotheon.com] for the lazy middle-class intellectual