OT: moving - was Re: [SLUG] Linux learners box

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 11:55:33 EDT

Eben King wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2004, Chad Perrin wrote:
>

>>As of Saturday, the "best" Linux box I'm running is Debian Woody on a
>>Cyrix II 233MHz that has some bizarre onboard video chipset that won't
>>allow me to run X. You're lucky to be able to store the stuff in your
>>garage rather than having to use it. What I have in storage is, alas,
>>my Athlon 1600+ and my P4 2.4GHz, 3K miles away in CA.
>>
>>Interesting. It just occurred to me that it will cost me about a dollar
>>per mile to move the stuff when I get around to it (soon I hope).
>>

>At that rate, it may be more economical (especially if you delay) to
>arrange to have the equipment sold there, and buy new hardware here,
>unless the data is particularly valuable (and even then you could keep the
>hard drive).

Unfortunately, there's more than just computer hardware there -- much of
it irreplaceable -- and I'd have to spend money to be able to sell
stuff. I wouldn't really be able to handle any of this without
traveling out there myself, which would, of course, be several hundred
dollars that I don't have at the moment. The reason it would cost 3K is
largely tied up in the fact that I'd have to rent a panel van (U-Haul or
equivalent) to move the stuff, and be there in person to help sort out
and load up which of the stuff there is mine and which belongs to the
other party also storing stuff in the same place. Et cetera.

Um. This is getting way off-topic. I think I'll shut up now.

--
Chad Perrin
@political [apotheon.com] for the lazy middle-class intellectual