Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Debian-Sarge - Help

From: R.G. Mayhue (rmayhue@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 17:53:19 EDT

On Saturday 22 May 2004 04:49 pm, Logan Tygart wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 12:51, Levi Bard wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > Hmmmmm....... Now I know what slackware users like my self dont like
> > > debian.!?!
> >
> > Just wait until you want to install some application that requires half
> > of your system libraries to be updated. That was the kind of thing that
> > finally drove me away from slack. Of course there are apt repositories
> > for nearly every distro now, but *shrug*
>
> Precisely! You mirror my thoughts exactly. But I have yet to hear the
> Gentoo choir chime in -- Wait, I imagine they are too busy compiling
> Mutt/Pine/Evolution/Kmail etc etc to read this though...
>
> Sarcastically yours,
> The Logan

CHIME!!! LOL

I would never have chimed in but since you took the whack I felt compelled.

But really... Its not that big a deal to me. I compile whatever I need against
whatever libs the system has installed. They do not need to be replaced
because I'm building from source... not installing prebuilt binaries compiled
against libs I don't have on the system.

Automake and autoconf my friend ;-)

The only time I've ever had to wait is when building a new system. Once its up
and running rebuilding "Mutt/Pine/Evolution/Kmail etc etc" is a trivial
background process if I want to update. Since running the 2.6 kernels
compiling in the background is much smoother now.

Jeez... you sarcastic Debian guys... ;-)

Hey... All I can say is to each his own. *shrug*

Signed,
Larry The Cow :))