Re: [SLUG] Debian Sarge problems.

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 01:22:05 EDT

Spake Robert Snyder on Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 11:11PM -0400:
> Levi Bard wrote:
>
> >>What file do I need to edit to manually set my dns entries why still
> >>keeping dhcp for the ip. It is a vpc issue that some times I have
> >>to manually put in my isps dns entries instead of using the router
> >>for dns ....
> >>

> >>I dont it before but forgot where I went to edit. or if I had to I
> >>could set it up as static.
> >

> >In /etc/dhclient.conf you can set the things that are grabbed from
> >the dhcp server. If you're using dhclient, that is...
> >This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> >Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> >posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> >official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.
> >
> What is the command to configure the network debian... I will just setup
> the network to use a static IP and tell it my dns servers.

Not sure if there is a command, but you can do it by hand pretty
easily.

You edit /etc/network/interfaces and then run
/etc/init.d/networking restart

here is my /etc/network/interfaces file, with extra comments. :)
I use static IPs as well.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
# installation
auto eth0

## don't want to use dhcp
## iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
# address is the IP of this machine:
address 192.168.1.100

# and this is the netmast:
netmask 255.255.255.0

# This is the address of your gateway, e.g. your NAT/router thing.
gateway 192.168.1.1

# the address for broadcast things (?)
broadcast 192.168.1.255

# end of file

hope that helps!

--
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.  X is work.  Y
is play.  Z is keep your mouth shut.