Re: [SLUG] Hardware overload (was Linux learners box)

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 02:22:58 EDT

(look for my comments after snipped sections below)

Kwan Lowe wrote:

>The machines in my home office are customer setups. I need to keep
>similar setups as my clients so that I can test software. This accounts
>for six physical machines and 8 virtual ones in VMWare. The remainder
>are personal machines for my family and my hobbies (e.g., some
>documentation I maintain, a ray-tracing cluster, a Windows machine for
>the company I work for, my internal file server, a web server, various
>laptops, etc..). So the actual number of discrete installations,
>counting virtual and physical machines, is closer to thirty.

Shoot me now.

>Setup Windows auto-update for a single machine. I don't trust it enough
>yet to have this on a critical machine.

This is part of the reason that I suggested administrating your
"template" Win2k machine directly rather than simply setting it up to
automatically update and push disk images or, alternatively, to make
itself available for the dependent nodes to pull disk images from it. I
don't trust auto-update for Windows -- I "manually" update my Windows
desktop, and always have with all Windows machines I've owned (since
auto-update became an option, that is).

>>Or . . . hire an intern.
>

>That might be best...

Depending on how the next few months hash out, I may ask you for the job.

--
Chad Perrin