Re: [SLUG] How 2 run headless Linux via Win2K?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 22:35:04 EDT

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Ken Elliott wrote:

> My NEC monitor went BOOM. I'll repair or replace it, but what I'd like to
> do is be able to control my SuSE Linux box via my Win2K PC. I've been able
> to share it via VNC, but the VNC server always asks if I want to accept the
> connection. Can't do that headless.
>
> Ideas?

Run an X server under W2K, SSH to Linux, startx. Slow sometimes, but
it'll work. Don't reboot; if your BIOS or boot sequence is prone to
printing vital information; you won't see it unless you borrow the W2K
monitor. I hope you have a UPS on that machine.

I have at least one monitor here you can borrow untilo you get a
replacement. One isn't good enough for long-term use, but it's better
than nothing. There may be others, depending on the generosity of their
owners.

> "there's no place like 127.0.0.1"

YM "There's no place like ~". :-)

A. A Top Poster