Re: [SLUG] yesterday's NPR news spot

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 12:56:52 EDT

On Jun 1, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Eric Jahn wrote:

> I was so excited, I wanted to lord this news highlight over anyone
> nearby, as
> proof I wasn't going mad about the importance of Open Source, but my
> excitement probably wouldn't have changed anyone's opinion as to my
> connection with reality. My dog, the only other witness around, does
> not
> understand much English, unfortunately.

True. I got to go to lunch with co-workers to meet a
friend-of-a-co-worker last week who, despite being told that not only
does the company I work for (NKS) run entirely off of and contract
almost entirely for open source and has been for years with literally
thousands of deployed services, and that the company that I'm
contracting to that his friend works for deploys their apps on open
source products (Linux and JBoss) he still continually fell back to the
old standby of "You get what you pay for" to argue against the use of
open source in "real world situations where you need stuff to work
reliably."

Some people just don't want to get it.

"I think that's what they mean by |
"nickels a day can feed a child." | http://www.eff.org/