Re: [SLUG] UML / VMWare

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 17:47:17 EDT

Matt Miller wrote:

>I am looking for opinions - the pros/cons - on UML and VMWare.
>
>I will be building servers to house multiple Oracle installations to be
>used as development DBs and I wish to run them in self-contained virtual
>environments. Does anyone have experience running Oracle on Linux (on
>Linux) in a virtual environment? Can anyone think of any pros or cons in
>running this in UML or VMWare? Or why they feel one would be better than
>the other?
>
>Here is my only criteria -
>
>- The VM environment can run Oracle.
>- I can backup the image (or clone the image for backups) with little
>interruption to the Oracle instances.
>- Control over memory and CPU utilization between the VM environments and
>the hosts.

I have used UML in-house for QA and similar purposes (the guys at NKS
have used it much more extensively). It works quite well, just make
sure that you compile it with the SKAS kernel patch (for performance and
other reasons). You can use COW (copy on write) to share one OS image,
and mount a non-COW partition for your databases and another perhaps for
your home directories. Limiting the amount of memory for each image is
easy. I don't know how to limit the CPU usage, except that the host
kernel scheduler should distribute it 'fairly' to each UML image
automatically (am I wrong on this?)

--ronan