Re: [SLUG] ntp, xntp help

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 14:57:52 EDT

Mike Branda wrote:

>>Ian - do you have any ntp.conf host and client examples?? what you
>>described is what I was initially intending to do with the exception
>>that I wasn't going to peer the workstations but that sounds like a
>>better way to handle it. Your way, I assume even if the outside
>>connection goes poof things will stay in sync on the inside for a
>>season. I can get the server to poll outside fine...I'm just not making
>>the mental connection as to how to rebroadcast to the inside or how the
>>workstation conf file should look to receive that broadcast.

The "peer" keyword may be used instead of "server" in your ntpd.conf.

On your master node (192.168.0.1), for example, you might try:

       server us.pool.ntp.org
       peer 192.168.0.2
       peer 192.168.0.3

on your client nodes (192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3), you might try:

       peer 192.168.0.1

This would tell the clients to synchronize their clocks as peers with
the master node. They would not synchronize with one another, however,
unless you add another peer directive to do so implicitly.

You can only "peer" with unicast addresses (another host's IP address).

You *can* slave many clients off of one broadcast or multicast server
source, however. On your master node, you might try:

       server us.pool.ntp.org
       broadcast 192.168.0.255

Then, on your clients, you could use:

       server 192.168.0.255

This doesn't allow your client to tell the server to drift with them as
it would as a "peer", but it does allow for an almost zeroconf setup
where clients can drift their clocks to a network server.

Also, seriously consider manual keys, or autokey to secure your NTP
communications - particularly on a large enterprise network. At home, on
a small contained private network, it may not be a big concern for your
personal machines.

 - Ian