Re: [SLUG] ntp, xntp help

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 09:46:51 EDT

> >The broadcast was interesting due
> >to the fact that it did not work until I set it to the actual server's
> >IP. I saw several solutions that said 192.168.0.255 but that didn't
> >work. if it's not the system's IP, it has to be a multicast address
> >like 224.0.1.1 it seems.
> >
> Hrm. Weird. I don't follow the problems with .255 as broadcast.
> Broadcasting to your own IP is a bit silly though - packets will never
> leave your server.
>
> Running multicast (224.0.1.1) is preferrable to broadcast anyway.

I thought it was weird too but the client would not receive any kind of
broadcast after several hours. I pretty much had everything else set up
right already. once I changed the server to broadcast on it's own IP, it
started working immediately. go figure. the Idea came from
http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=29305&seqNum=2
about halfway down the page it says:

broadcast address [key key] [version number] [ttl number]—If you include
this option, the server will periodically broadcast its current time to
all clients on the network specified by address, which should be the
computer's address on that network or a multicast address of 224.0.1.1.
Using broadcasts may reduce network traffic on a large local network
with many NTP servers that function mainly as clients.

broadcastclient [yes | no]—You can tell an NTP server to listen for
broadcasts from other local NTP servers with this option.

this is also the only place I saw that you had to place a "yes" or "no"
next to the generic broadcastclient. everything else showed just the
option itself. I didn't go back and try this after the first try without
the yes or no. It didn't work without the argument though. I just
pointed the client at the server's IP.

Mike Branda