Re: [SLUG] Computer Users Group?

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 20:35:56 EDT

Spake Paddy on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 at 06:14PM -0400:
> When I first came to the Tampa area, I was looking for a LUG. In the
> process I was informed that there was a computer user group in the area in
> addition to the lug. Upon checking, I found out that this organization was
> primarily Winbloz so I hung out with SLUG.
Yeah, Tampabay Computer Society is mostly Windows.
However John S. has a linux special interest group
that meets once a month.

It seems SLUG is one of the better kept secrets
of the bay area. :)

> I'm hoping to find an organization where my 16 year son may find some
> people of his own age with which to hack around.
I've spent the last year and a half looking for such groups...
I go the tampabay perl mongers (tampabay.pm.org), SLUG, and the Linux
Special Interest Group of the Tampabay Computer Society.
I'm consistently the youngest person at all of these meetings (I'm 18).

SLUG seems to have the greatest variance in age, but I don't believe
I've ever met a SLUGger under 22. (Although on this list there is a 15
year old, IIRC).

> Will someone who is aware of other computer organizations please give me
> link?
I think I can safely tell you that there are no groups
for young computer geeks/hackers in the tampabay area. Or even farther.

The methods thus far that I've employed:
  * Google (Several thousand hours of googling!)
  * Googling livejournal.com
  * Meetup.com
  * librarians
  * Asking around at college (SPC)

Such an animal doesn't exist in this bloody area, methinks...

I've heard tell of a younger crowd at the Tampa meetings,
can someone verify that? I only go the St. Pete meetings...

Someone, please, please prove me wrong!

--
"I hear and I forget.
 I see and I remember.