Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} The spam tag

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 22:12:43 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>

>> When the subject line changes in a thread it becomes tagged as spam.
>>

> Well then it should not be marked as spame as I told it to go file write
> new mail. So nothing in the subject line should of changed.

Here's a translation in case that wasn't clear enough for Steve:
He created a message from scratch rather than replying and changing the subject line. From the sound of it, he clicked the "File" drop-down menu in a graphical POP3 client and chose a menu item called "write new mail". In my own client (Thunderbird), that would be File > New > Message (though I usually just click on the little "new message" icon at the top of the application interface to compose a new email). The comment about getting tagged as spam for changing the subject line does not apply in this instance.

In answer to Robert Snyder:
It may be something to do with Verizon's mail handling, and more to the point it may have something to do with the fact that you're on an older GTE network under Verizon. It's a technical issue you might take up with your customer service representative at Verizon. It's also possible that your local ISP subnet's IP address range may have been tagged by the server running the mailing list as a possible source of spam, or that your email client setup might in some way not be meshing very well with the mailing list software, or . . . any number of things. Hopefully, someone else using a Verizon email address might be able to shed some light on the subject, as might someone more involved in the list maintenance process than I am (which is to say "more than not at all").