[SLUG] Re: distro suitable for thumb drive

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 14:05:46 EDT

> I have a 512 MB USB flash drive, and my laptop can boot from it (at least,
> I'm pretty sure it can). I want to make my wireless NIC work when booted
> from that, before I trash XP on the main drive. I'd be really in a bad
> place if I trashed the only OS that can use the 802.11 interface. Since
> the laptop uses a Centrino chipset, it's mostly unsupported.

I found http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/, so I'm reasonably confident that
I can get wireless to work, even though I haven't (yet) got the machine to
boot from flash. (My NIC is "Network Controller: Intel Corp.
PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)".) Now, does anyone
know what I can use to shrink hda1? Would Ghost do? I have Ghost. I
most likely will back up the hard drive (compressed) to a server on the
network (it's a 30 GB HD, but hda1 takes up 25 GB; the other 5 GB is IBM's
'restore' area).

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al