Re: [SLUG] Clustering

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 16:15:41 EDT

Steve wrote:

> OK, you could put an external connection to each computer. Then run a script
> that monitors the cable connection (as it's the faster of the two).

That's not necessarily the case. It has the potential to be the faster of the two because cable generally uses fiberoptic technology to transmit high-bandwidth data for television, but cable internet service is not simply provided at an unregulated full-potential bandwidth. Depending on your service provider's policies and the state of the network, cable internet may be capped at rather low bandwidth. Also, while standard DSL is limited to 1.5Mbps max, with some plans actually providing less downstream than that, there are variants that allow greater bandwidth. I have seen cable broadband internet offer as little as 128 downstream with 56K upstream, and I've seen certain high-bandwidth DSL plans offer as much as 8Mbps downstream. Additionally, since in a previous message it was made clear that Diego's friend has some kind of enhanced DSL plan, I'd bank on the necessity of actually comparing data rates between DSL and cable in this instance before making a decision about
 which is faster.

--
Chad