Re: [SLUG] Free Gmail Raffle

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 11:47:36 EDT

Spake Kevin Poorman on Friday, June 11, 2004 at 12:49AM -0400:
> Someone said:
> > Personally, I just like winning prizes. My own self-hosted email
> > has several times more storage than gmail will offer... I also insert my
> > mail into a mysql database and have several custom utilities for
> > searching that... Keeping mail in mysql is really nice
> > when it comes time to find out what someone said $n years ago,
> > or how much traffic I get from SLUG in a week.
>
> How is this done? Can the mail then be read by say kmail or mozilla mail ?
>
> Are there tried and true methods of doing this?
>
> Can anyone share more info on this?
>
> -Pkj
Mail is stored in ~/.Mail/, in the maildir format.
I use mutt to read it, I think kmail can too. Then I have a bunch of
hacky scripts that insert it into mysql, into one table.
The table keeps the filename, so once I find a matching entry, I just
open the file referenced.

it's a very large hack, but it's fun. :)

So, I can queries like so: select file from slug where content like "%hamster%" and poster = "Levi Bard";

The code is so horribly ugly I'm afraid to share it, but after a rewrite
I might post it to the list. :)

--
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside a dog it's too
dark to read.