[SLUG] Booting from software RAID 1

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 21:21:04 EDT

I usually set my Windows servers for RAID 1 (mirroring) on the boot disk.
But it seems Linux won't let me do this. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but
I've found no docs on this.

Here's what seems to work:
Set /boot on it's own partition, and set RAID 1 on /, /usr and /home, etc.
Both disks have swap partitions, but if I crash either disk, the loss of
swap will kill the box. So, to get the real benefits, I must be able to
mirror Swap, or do without it (not good). If the loss of a disk crashes the
server, I might as well skip mirroring and setup a cron job to copy changed
files ever so often...

I did find a site where a fellow put together a lengthy process involving
more drives and a lot of work. But it was written 4 years ago for kernel
2.2. I'm on 2.6.

Oh, yeah... The "hardware" RAID in the Intel 865 chipset is software
dependent - not true HW RAID.

Thoughts?

Ken Elliott