Re: [SLUG] Recommned a NIC card for Debian

From: Matt Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 16:14:37 EDT

> >Since you said Debian, I thought of one of those new ISA cards I
> >keep hearing about. :) Seriously, Linksys makes a nice card, and I'm
> >pretty sure the LNE100TX is driven by those nice pretty tulips.
> >

> Har har. This is the point where I note that Debian spotted my onboard
> gigabit ethernet controller without a hitch.

This has normally been my experience with Debian as well.

But this day and age, there's really no point in not going with Intel
NICs. Intel keeps their interfaces backward compatible for the most
part (which is way more than I can say for Broadcom and others), they
tend to perform well (if you care about that sort of thing) and are
rock-solid reliable.

When you can get what's a lifetime supply for most folks on ebay for the
price of one or two cards elsewhere, why wouldn't you go Intel?:
http://search.ebay.com/intel-nic_Networking_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQsacategoryZ11176

--
Matthew Moen

It's an old ASR adage that all OS's suck. Based on my recent experiences with three Linux distributions, Debian sucks like a straw in a tongue- cancer patient's mouth, Gentoo sucks like an Electrolux, and Redhat 9 sucks like a jet engine intake.

The following disclaimer is provided courtesy of, and willy-nilly by, NKS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.