[SLUG] Solved - Mirroring a Linux Boot Drive

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 18:00:25 EDT

For those who might be facing the same issue:

I ended up purchasing a 3Ware SATA interface card to achieve hardware RAID 1
(mirrored disks). After installing it, and booting the server, I entered
it's BIOS config, mirrored the two SATA drives and exited. Reinstalling
SuSE 9.1, the two drives appeared as a single volume. I was able to
partition it just like a single drive. Didn't need drivers or anything.
Truly simple. Now I have real fault-tolerant drives that are considerably
faster then the integrated SATA on the motherboard. And the darn card only
cost $139 at newegg.com. Highly recommended.

Also, I never could get SuSE 9.0 SAMBA 2.2.8 to work with encrypted
passwords, but SuSE 9.1 SAMBA 3.0.2 worked flawlessly with Win NT and XP
using password encryption.

Ken Elliott