Re: [SLUG] Athlon 64 Laptop

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 11:14:45 EDT

> Anybody installed the Fedora core 2 on a Athlon 64 ??

Yes. The thing about the x86_64 version of FC2 is that roughly 1/2 the packages (that I installed) are still 32-bit, so I ended up having to maintain this big 32-bit library tree alongside my 64-bit library tree. Kind of a waste, and it adds a new dimension of complexity to dependency hell, even with yum. AFAIK it's the same with the x86_64 SuSE port.

OTOH, Debian-amd64 has something like 98% of all the i386 packages ported to amd64 - amd64 is the second-most populous debian architecture with respect to packages. In fact, I'm running a debian-amd64 system right now.

One thing to watch out for with 64-bit linux is wifi hardware. AFAIK, there are only one or two of the wireless pcmcia driver sets that are well supported in the x86_64 kernel, orinoco_cs and something else.

Anyway, if you don't feel like dealing with all this stuff, an i386 distribution will run just fine - an athlon64 is still a monster, even compared to an athlon[xm]p.

Speaking of engineering applications, the amd64-linux version of UT2004 *screams* on my machine.

Hope some of this is relevant,
Levi