Re: [SLUG] Athlon 64 Laptop

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 15:41:20 EDT

> If you want to get into religious OS wars,

Not really believe it or not. ;^) the more seasoned I become as an
admin and the more proficient I get at all the different OS platforms,
the more I realize that they all have their shortcomings. Anyone who
really is honest with themselves will admit that. on the reverse, they
all have their positives!! In the current race and my current needs and
comparisons.....linux I must say is taking over. we're up to somewhere
between 80 and 90 employees now.... and the animation director wants to
roll his department to all linux desktops for the next production after
recent tests. IT backbone and desktops need to be well rounded wheel of
what does what best for that job it seems. As much as I'd like to
settle on one, I feel that would bring me back to the monolith-like
ideology and mindset.

> can you tell me why my OS/X
> 10.3.3 install consistently goes into a "pinwheel spin of death" when
> trying to wake up from a blank screen screensaver?

I've noticed this oddity in general with our three new G5's (10.3.3) in
many different scenarios. I just ended up disabling the screensavers
and power management for the disks. kinda hard to do in the install
though I assume. :^) Again on the other hand, final cut pro is
awesome.....nothing on any of the other platforms we've tried can touch
it other than maybe and AVID.

> OpenSource. God I hate commercial software. This is what is quickly
> driving me away from the Mac as a platform. Sure, it looks great, but
> the commercial buggy software continues to pain my computing experience.

I agree. it takes a little longer to configure and get to where you
want it to be....but once it's working, it "really works". I've taken
to the mindset also that if it's doing exactly what I need, or I am able
to tweak the source and they gave it to me for free....I'm more
compelled to pay them a large thank you fee or support them in their
preferred way.

> Honestly, give me a small, light, large battery Linux laptop, that can
> survive a quick suspend/resume cycle with a wireless card and bluetooth
> support, AND YOU HAVE A SALE (namely: me)

If only we could implement the flux capacitor......

Mike Branda